Monday, March 1, 2010

My 2010 Volunteer Mission to Israel

This is my second time in 4 years coming to Haifa as part of the Doppelt Volunteer Mission. Arriving here 3 weeks ago I felt like I was returning home. Wonderful friends and smiling warm familiar faces here to greet us and the love shown to our whole group is something very hard to translate into words. I was asked to write a short note about a memorable experience but in all honesty there have been so many that I find it difficult to pick only one. Dancing with Ethiopian children at Temple Or Kadash , celebrating TuBishvat with our host families who welcomed us into their homes with joy, laughter and incredible food, participating in Israeli folk dances at Zamir Beach on Shabbat, working with the children of Chuggim High School and tutoring English to the lovely women of the Boston/Haifa Dialogue group are simply a few of the heartfelt experiences to date. Most important, however, is the connection and friendships we have made in this beautiful “city by the sea”! I can only describe the friends I have made here as some of the most giving people I have ever met- they have big hearts and are truly beautiful souls . Where else but in Haifa can you board a Sheirut and within five minutes have an invitation for coffee at a home of a complete stranger?
There is so much for me to write about that it would take me much more than a paragraph. I will just conclude by saying “Todah Rabah” to all my “chaverim” here for making this such a special journey- I feel blessed to have had this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment